Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sittin' in Church...

So we try to be good Catholics and go to church every Sunday. Most of the time, if we EVEN make it..we are late. We head over to the 'infant' room where all the crybabies hang out and we can never really hear what's going on. You can see through the glass..but that's about it. Today, we decide Bea and I are ONLY going to church. That was a good move. So we get there and we sit in the back - we are back-sitters. I like to sing the oldies but goodies...you know, Eagles Wings..songs like that. Most of the time they have the guy that plays the drums - he's pretty good mind you, and they have songs that are just too funky and I'm always off key or off beat..so I sing loooow - but I do sing! Anyway..my point. We go through the usual routine...and all of the sudden I hear the guy next to me sniffle..then again. I kind of glance at him and I see him wipe a tear from his face. I'd say he was mid-60's..maybe a bit older. He was sad and by himself. I wanted to just ask him if he was OK? Everything ran through my mind...fast. Should I ask him? Would that embarrass him? Should I just ignore all the sniffling. What to do??? You know what I did...we finally make it to the 'sign of peace' and I turn to shake his hand. I held his hand, cupped his hand with my other hand..and just held on. Just a second longer than usual..maybe just a bit tighter too. I looked him right in the eyes..and I said 'Peace be with you.' And I held his hand. He smiled. That's the first time..in my life as a Catholic..that saying actually meant something to me. I sooo wanted to just hug him. But that would have been weird for him. He probably would have maced me in the face. He had soft blue eyes, he was kind and wrinkly. He was sad about something. I wish I could have done more. I prayed for him. Next week, (if I make it) I'm going to sit in my exact same seat and I hope he sits in his exact same seat too.

No comments: