Saturday, February 24, 2007

Scott Barkley

When I graduated from college I had no idea what the 'real' world was about. I mean really. I was young and SO dumb. Anyway, my first TV gig was at Channel 5. I was a sports intern. My friend Joe got me a job there. Oh no wait. I interned there before I graduated for school credits. It was a sucky job. But there was one person who I looked up to there. I admired him. That was Scott Barkley. We went to football games together to shoot highlights. I just stood there and did nothing but he was IT. Everyone at the station loved him. He IS a great photographer (videographer). He was humble, kind and taught me so much about life. I wish I would have stayed in touch with him. Anyway, after I graduated I had two choices..work the news desk or production. Scott told me to pick news desk and I did. That decision..routed me exactly where I wanted to go at the time...he knew. I didn't. Life isn't fair and sometimes it sucks. I found out today Scott died from a brain tumor in 1999. That's not fair. Why didn't I stay in touch? Scott was my friend, my boss, my inspiration. He's the only one I think about when I remember that job. People come and go in life...I wish he would have stayed.

No comments: